Sunday, February 7, 2010

Weekend Snowstorm

Well, I guess Professor Charlton got her wish for the big snowstorm. I believe I was in denial about the snow. I couldn’t believe how much it had snowed Friday night and was still snowing Saturday when I woke up. I hate being snowed in, even if I don’t have plans to go away. There’s just something about not being able to go someplace, even if you have no place to go.
Anyway, when it quit snowing Saturday afternoon, I decided to go outside and start shoveling the driveway. My driveway is approximately the length of a football field and that only gets me to the lane which is probably two football fields long. I have a tractor but nobody to help me put the plow on it; and to be truthful I wouldn’t know how to use it anyway, so I am at the mercy of my neighbor with his tractor and snowblower. He has been extremely kind and usually clears my driveway for which I am eternally grateful. So after shoveling about one third of my driveway, along came my neighbor with his snowblower to finish clearing the driveway. While he finished the driveway, I cleared the sidewalk and front porch. I was outside shoveling for about 2½ hours without a break. I thought that’s it for my shoveling this weekend and was hoping that my muscles wouldn’t be to sore on Sunday.
I woke up on Sunday and called my daughter who was in San Francisco for the weekend. I called to make sure she knew that we had a major snowstorm and BWI airport was closed. My daughter, Michele just recently bought a house in York city. During our conversation she asked if anyone had cleaned her sidewalks. I told her that I hadn’t left my house since Friday night and that I thought she had made arrangements to have her sidewalks and driveway shoveled. She told me that she forgot to do that. So what does Mom do? Why she jumps in her car with her snow shovel and heads off to Michele’s house to shovel her sidewalks and short driveway. So I spent another 2½ shoveling on Sunday. The best part of this story is that I had about 2 shovelfuls of snow left on the driveway and a truck with a plow comes down the alley and stops at Michele’s garage. The driver winds down the window and says, “My name is Tom and I work with Michele. I’m here to clear her driveway, sidewalks and the parking area along her curb out front. Also, the alley isn’t in very good shape, so I’ll take care of that too”. I WANTED TO CRY OR SCREAM OR SOMETHING but I guess I should be grateful that there are other people who look out for my daughter too. I only wish it was a little sooner.

1 comment:

  1. omg i totally feel you on that one! we were out for 5 hours in the snow!! we did our drive way, sidewalk and helped the neighbors clean their drive ways and sidewalks! they are calling for more snow this week and i'm not ready for it!!!

    ReplyDelete